Table of Contents
microsoft ole db provider for sql server error 80004005
Open Database Connectivity, or ODBC, is a simple approach to construct dynamic website applications.
Web apps, on the other hand, can fail owing to ODBC database connection issues. They too report an microsoft ole db provider for sql server error 80004005
It can be difficult to figure out what’s causing the ODBC problem.
In this article, we’ll look at the top five causes of ODBC error 80004005.
What is microsoft ole db provider for sql server error 80004005?
The back-end of the great majority of websites on the internet is a database. The user information and linked data are stored in databases on these websites. We frequently utilize the ODBC approach to display these details on the website.
This ODBC approach, fortunately, is not affected by the website’s coding language. That is, it makes no difference whether your website is written in PHP or ASP.
The ODBC database drivers are responsible for storing the underlying database information and allowing users to connect to database systems. If this database connection fails for whatever reason, microsoft ole db provider for sql server error 80004005 ODBC occurs.
Such ODBC problems are common on websites that use Microsoft Access databases. These errors are generated by ASP websites when they are unable to access the database file. These 80004005 problems can also be found in the OLE DB Provider for ODBC or the Microsoft Jet Database Engine.
What is the reason of the ODBC error 80004005?
It’s now time to investigate the sources of error 80004005. Our Dedicated Engineers frequently face this message in numerous scenarios as a result of their experience managing websites.
1. Permissions are incorrect
Basically, Windows websites should be able to access database files with the extensions.mdb,.ldb, and so on. If any of the read or write permissions are lacking, we will not be able to continue.
2. A process is already under progress.
Multiple processes at once are difficult to manage in Microsoft Access databases. An ODBC connection error can occur if a process still has a file handle open to the database. This usually occurs when users do not properly close the connection. A incomplete upload of a database file via FTP client, for example, can leave an open connection.
3. SQL server constraints
Last but not least, ODBC error 80004005 can also be caused by SQL server security restrictions. When Integrated security is enabled in SQL Enterprise Manager, the windows account should be mapped to the database account. Otherwise, website issues will occur.
4.DSN settings that are incorrect
Data Space Name, or DSN, settings are another typical cause of ODBC issues. DSN, in general, contains information about the website-specific database to which the ODBC driver connects. Any incorrect information will create ODBC connection issues.
5. Customers may neglect to build a DSN or enter the database file’s location incorrectly. Again, DSN creation on servers with control panels may fail to create necessary files on the server. ODBC errors are also generated as a result of this.
6. Database corruption – Obviously, a corrupt database will always result in an error. And, in such cases, search query will not yield correct results and show up ODBC error 80004005.
How Do We Fix microsoft ole db provider for sql server error 80004005?
Normally we couldn’t connect to the database on the website app. The error message displayed on the website was:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005' [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified
- As a first step, we need to double check the database file permissions and ownership. If the files were properly permissioned under the IUSR account then go to next step.
- On the server we need to make sure an ODBC driver was also present.
- The DSN connection string was then examined. We need to check and correct that the database connection string in the .asa file was correctly setup. If wrongly set up then we need to change the settings and the website would be fault was resolved.
- Similarly, when ODBC problems occur as a result of open connections, we need recycle the website’s application pool, closing any open connections.